Date of Discovery
The first references date back to 2400 BC in the Sumerian Kings List
This demon is known to take many shapes and can appear as a fully grown man, a woman or witch, and sometimes seen as a rank goat. This demon uses the different shapes as a way to deceive the intended victims.
The first known stories of the incubus demons are found as early as 2400 BC. However this demon has many forms and lore from different regions of the world. In German folklore he is known as Alp. In Zanzibar Popo Bawa is actually known to attack men in private locations. The Trauco in Chilean lore is an Incubus that is dwarf like and assaults young women.
This particular demon is also often found in Christian history and has even been exorcised before.
Mythology and Lore
It is believed that an Incubus is a demon obsessed with sexual intercourse. This demon will assault it’s victims in nightmares or as a shapeshifter taking different forms to entice or force sexual actions. There are tales of pregnancy from this demon across religions and regions. Those pregnancies left behind children of a demon. The demon is mainly seen as male although it will take female form if that is better suited to accomplish it’s goals. The succubus is in many ways a female version of this demon who primarily targets men.
Modern Pop-Culture References
- The Encyclopedia of Witchcraft & Demonology Hardcover – 1988
- Rosemary’s Baby (1968)
- Jacob’s Ladder (1990)
- The Black Room (2017)
- Deadly Blessing (1981)
- The Incubus (1981)
- Incubus (1966)
- Nightmare Man (2006)
- The Devil and Daniel Webster (1941)
- A Visit from the Incubus (2001)
- Here Comes the Devil (2012)
- Def by Temptation (1990)
- The Bloody Mary Show (2012)
- Bled (2009)
- Abilene (2012)
- Ruka (2014)
- Tales of the Incubus (2001)
- Invocacion Satanica (1989)
- Kanashibara (2007)
- Wessex Tales (1973) – Episode – The Withered Arm
- The Dresden Files (2007) – Episode – The Other Dick
- Lost Girl (2013) – Episode – The Kenzi Scale
- Penny Dreadful (2014) – Episodes – Possession , Closer than Sisters
- Monsters (1989) – Episode – The Mandrake Root
- The Magicians (2018) – Episode Do you Like Teeth
Is there anything we missed about Insert Name of Entry Here? Let us know in the comments section below!
Tritone’s love of horror and mystery began at a young age. Growing up in the 80’s he got to see some of the greatest horror movies play out in the best of venues, the drive-in theater. That’s when his obsession with the genre really began—but it wasn’t just the movies, it was the games, the books, the comics, and the lore behind it all that really ignited his obsession. Tritone is a published author and continues to write and write about horror whenever possible.